Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Angela Davis Top


I listed this Angela Davis top in my etsy shop yesterday. Some of my friends and family members question my decision to use the image of Angela Davis in my clothing line given the controversial aura that follows her. I love this image. To me this image screams STRONG BLACK WOMAN. I don't agree with everything that she did but I do love the fact that she is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. We need images like these, I need images like these. Images that remind us of the strength that I/we possess, of the potential that we have to confront injustice. I am not a confrontational person, by all means. I am the middle child, I am prone to keep the peace in any argument, no matter the cost. But when I see strong images of men and women who have won battles that we didn't have to fight, I can't help but feel grateful, re-charged, STRONG. That is part of what Nelesc is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Post Nellie! I'll add your link to Monday's Muse :)

    ReplyDelete