Friday, December 14, 2012

Special Needs Super Mom Spotlight: Designs by Tiffany

Tiffany and her son, adorable!


For me, creativity, self-expression, fashion, the arts, all of these help me enjoy life more fully, connect with others, and de-stress, especially since I parent two special needs children. For a long time, I have been wanting to start a series where I interview other creative moms of special needs children in an attempt to learn from them, create community and awareness, and bring attention to other fabulous designers doing it all.

I am so happy to present to you Tiffany Jones of Designs by Tiffany as the first designer in this series!

Designs by Tiffany offers "handmade accessories that can add the extra touch to your outfit at a low cost". She makes earrings, scarves, hats, and even blankets.


I ran into Tiffany's shop while searching etsy.com for some cool BIG earrings. I don't normally wear BIG earrings but felt that with my hair straight and pulled back, it would add a certain pop to my outfit. Voila, I found these on Tiffany's website. They are large, silver fabric tear drop earrings.

Silver tear drop earrings, $12.00



 I love them! They are so much fun and really jazz up an outfit.


Then I discovered she was a mom to a special needs child and wanted to find out more:

I know you say in your profile that you started crafting to relax after your son's diagnosis but did you craft before?

I learned how to craft in the April before my son got sick. I learned from my sister in law when my father in law had a major stroke and passed. When my son got sick I started learning more and doing more projects because I noticed it helped me relax.

Specifically, what kind of crafting do you do and what materials do you use?

I crochet scarves, hats, earrings and blankets. I also make earrings from fabric and ribbons.

Large, unique DREAM earrings, $12.00

Large plaid fabric earrings, $12.00
What is your schedule like? How and when do you find the time to work? Do you craft full time or do you have another job?

I teach second grade language arts in Houston TX. During the school year, I'm up at 5:30 am but I get home around 3:00pm so I take a few hours to myself before I get my son from daycare. During that time I also look up projects or try a new project. I tend to work on more projects during the summer, winter, and spring breaks since I don't have to teach. I craft part-time but if I had more business I would love to do it more.


Blue crochet ruffle scarf, $20.00 

Besides crafting, what else do you do to relax or unwind?

Beside crafting I enjoy shoe shopping. I'm very petite and a lot if times it's easier to find shoes than clothes.

What is your son's diagnosis and how does it affect him?

My son has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. With his condition it causes his joints to swell which cause pain and fevers. The type that he has can also cause his liver and spleen to swell as well and we had an issue with that this summer. When he has a flare up it hurts for him to walk and he tends to have high fevers. If left untreated it can cause permanent joint damage and disabilities. We have to make frequent visits to Texas Children for IV medicines and test when he has a flare up. When he doesn't have a flare up he is like a normal three year old.

What tip(s) would you give moms caring for special needs children

Advice I would give is to always take some time for yourself to unwind. Sometimes the hard part is finding what helps you unwind.

Kids/adult owl hat, $22.00
Where can we connect with you besides your shop? 


Facebook fan page: designsbytiffanyj

Twitter: @misstiff02

Thank you Tiffany!





1 comment:

  1. love the kids owl hat! visiting you from the etsy promote your blog(s) team :) great blog!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete