Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Easy Color Block Draped Dress

By now you probably know that I am a big fan of color blocking and draping. This and last week, I have been doing some fabric stash busting. It's the reason why I haven't posted in a while. This project is perfect for getting rid of those fabric scraps. 

I started with this: a red t -shirt with a print that never sold in  the shop, a piece of blue jersey material from when I was selling draped dresses, and a piece of brown jersey fabric from a color block project two years ago. 

I opened one side of the t-shirt and simply serged the pieces all together. You can also sew them, you don't necessarily need a serger. 

I then draped my color blocked fabric on the dress form. I cut here and there, sewed here and there, and this is the result: a color blocked draped dress.  

Another view. I love this organic way of designing. No pattern pieces, no predetermined place where each color will go. Just simply seeing where the fabric falls best. 

The back view

I apologize for the wrinkly fabric, it definitely looks much better on a person. I promise to iron it and take pictures of me wearing it soon. 

Has anyone else ever worked this way? Just draping on the dress form?

4 comments:

  1. I have never worked this way, but I am so impressed with your ideas. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects are always so inspiring!
    *Note to self: Get a dress form...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Theresa! Yes, the dress form changed my life! You can actually make one with your measurements from duct tape! Google it.

    ReplyDelete