Thursday, July 9, 2015

T-Shirt Refashion: Regular "El Bar Rio" T-Shirt to Bat-Wing Draped Pocket Top

My latest t-shirt refashion!

The "El Bar Rio" (El Barrio) t-shirt started out like this. It is designed by Luis Cordero, Founder of PRIDA. Cordero is a graphic artist and photographer, among other things. He also designs, produces, and sells his own line of t-shirts with Native American Taíno and other Puerto Rican cultural icons. You can purchase his tees here

PRIDA stands for Puerto Rican Institute for the Development of the Arts, a Project of Comité Noviembre. Their mission is to promote and provide support for the Puerto Rican artist and the arts. I happen to be a proud member. You can find out more about PRIDA here


Okay, now back to how I redesigned the tee. The first thing I did was to separate the front from the back, sleeves and all.  


 Next, I separated the graphic and cut it into this shape. This is all that I used of the t-shirt itself. 

I had this long black 2X dress which I used for fabric.


I used the fabric from the dress for the sides, back, and pockets  of the new top. There are no side seams, just one single seam in the back middle.  

 I then added the pockets on the sides and professionally hemmed the neckline, bottom, and sleeve openings with my handy dandy hem machine (did I just say handy dandy? lol)

 And here it is. The neck line is wide enough that I could also use it as an off the shoulder top. 


I really love it and so glad I decided to add pockets.


 Here's a side view




I love these tunic-like tops and the "El Bar Rio" (El Barrio) graphic really pops. What do you think? Would you have done anything differently? As always, I appreciate feedback and respond to all comments. 

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment